Thursday

Timeless by Alexandra Monir


Title: Timeless
Author: Alexandra Monir
Pages: 288
Genre: YA/ Fantasy
Source: Different Area Codes ARC Tours

I absolutely loved the premise to this book!  When tragedy strikes, Michele has to leave the life she's always known behind to move across the country to live with her unknown, wealthy grandparents in their opulent manor.  There she discovers a diary that takes her back in time to the year 1910 and the boy with the striking blue eyes that haunts her dreams. 

Michele, as well as the other characters in Timeless, were very likeable and charming. I loved the descriptions of present day New York to that of the earlier 1900's.  Ms. Monir had to have done her research because she captures each time frame - whether it be the 1910's, 1940's or even present day, perfectly.  The culture, the landmarks, the references.. it was all there. The romance between Michele and Philip (the blue-eyed dream boy) was one that transcended time.  It did feel a bit rushed, but I understood why they felt as if they'd always known each other.  I also really loved the song lyrics that were scattered throughout the chapters.  They flowed so well with the story.  I could hear the songs in my head as I read them - they truly enhanced the story. 

As always, the only (slight) problem that I have with time traveling novels - I can never get the time frame right.  I have a hard time adjusting to the quick changes of time and therefore confusion ensues.  At least that is the case with me.  Although I didn't suffer too much of this while reading Timeless, there was a time or two where I had a hard time getting back in the proper mindset - according to the year Michele found herself in. Aside from that small challenge, I have no other complaints about this lovely story. Well... I also didn't like that cliffhanger ending - but I'll remedy that once the sequel is released.

A lovely story riddled with romance, time travel and magic.  Unforgettable.

My Rating:

17 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

Wow. Sounds awesome!

Rebecca Rasmussen said...

This sounds like so much fun!!! :)

Cialina at Muggle-Born.net said...

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this! I just bought it recently and I hope to get to it soon. I hope I don't regret my purchase!

Liz @ Cleverly Inked said...

I'm right there with you about getting the time frames in place

Kailana said...

This looks really good. It is now on my TBR list. Hopefully my library will have a copy eventually!

Josette said...

I'm so looking forward to reading this book too! :)

Anonymous said...

I've yet to read a historical novel such as this one. Really love the concept a lot!

Looksie Lovitz said...

Great review! I loved this book too. :)

Anonymous said...

Great Review

Book Butterfly (Kim) said...

I agree with everything you said. I thought the romance was a bit rushed too but was able to just go with it. I think I liked all the time travel more than the romance though; especially the early 1900's and 1920's!

Gina @ My Precious said...

Sounds enticing. I was a liitle skeptical at first but you've convinced me I should give it a try.

kindlechic said...

i purchased the kindle edition last night and cannot wait to get to it this weekend! thanks for the review!

Michelle said...

I've heard mixed reviews on this one, but I think I'm likely going to pick it up to read regardless.

Small Review said...

Thanks for the warning about the cliffhanger ending! I don't know why, but I thought this was a standalone.

kayerj said...

sounds perfect--so many books, so little time.

Jennifer said...

Sounds awesome. I am really enjoy the magic of time travel a lot lately. I'll have to keep an eye out for this one. And with such a beautiful cover, I'm sure that won't be a difficult thing to do.

Canada said...

Timeless didn't just tell us the story of Michele and Philip, it told the stories of two prominent, rivaling, New York families, the love between Michele's mother and father, and the story of something so much bigger then anything anyone can understand. The transitions between these underlying stories were seamless and bound together by the music and characters, past and present, that helped shape the story. The overall story was well complimented with the unraveling of history and all the truths Michele came across in her journey. It really made the whole read enjoyable.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Cré@Bisontines I'm Yours Kit