Wednesday

I Love You, Beth Cooper by Larry Doyle

Denis Cooverman - class valedictorian, captain of the debate team and your all-around nerd is standing on stage, sweating profusely and giving his graduation speech when he decides to live on the edge and says:

"I love you, Beth Cooper."

Yep, in front of his 500+ classmates and their relatives.

Beth Cooper - head cheerleader, most popular and the hottest girl in school has only the vaguest idea of who Denis is. They’ve been in the same classes their whole lives but Denis has always sat behind her in class and never actually uttered a word to her. When Beth agrees to “maybe” make it to a graduation party Denis spontaneously decides to throw, little does he know that Beth has a very big, muscular boyfriend in town on furlough from the United States Army who is not very happy about his “creative” speech.

I was looking for a book that would make me laugh and was not serious whatsoever and definitely found it in "I Love You, Beth Cooper." This is the classic tale of the nerd loving the most beautiful girl in school - in a “day in the life of” scenario. It took me back and captured that high school surreal feeling of social status and angst. It's like Return of the Nerds, where the nerds become semi-cool, get the girl, and realize that there's more to life outside the world of high school and all its pettiness.

This is one of the funniest books I've read in a long time. Any book that quotes characters from some of the funniest movies of all time has to be funny! And the comics were just hilarious. I will confess, I actually bought the book because I skimmed through it and was laughing at how funny the illustrations were.



If you’re in the mood for something fast-paced and highly-entertaining then this is definitely your book.

The movie comes out this summer - here's the trailer.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I'd watch the movie but the book I think I'd actually pick up to read. It sounds pretty hilarious actually. :D

Michele said...

You convinced me!! I'll read it!

The Reading Momster said...

aww! your blog template is soooooper cool :) i love the pink and everything :) :)

the book sounds really good... :) ;)

Darlene said...

This book sounds good-I always like when the nerd comes out in the good. I loved Revenge of the Nerds. lol.

I love the new background and header. Looks great and very summery!

Ana S. said...

I'm definitely in the mood for funny! I'll have to look for this one :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Cré@Bisontines I'm Yours Kit